Skid Plates: Do I REALLY need one?
Short answer, YES.
Need more arguments to be convinced? Here you are:
1. Most dirt bike riders will inevitably say riding without one is not worth the risk. The cost of a skid plate is small compared to what you’d have to pay to replace your cases, shifters, and brake pedals .
2. One stone will easily put a hole in your casing, make you lose all your oil and seize your engine. Let’s not talk about how much that will cost you.
3. Adventure anywhere with trees? One wrong stick and you’re pushing your bike back to the truck!
4. If you ride a lot, or anywhere around rocks, a skid plate is a no brainer. Don’t learn this lesson the hard way!
5. Would that gravel or branch have damaged your oil filter? If your bash plate is doing its job, you’ll never have to find out!
6. Bash plates are NOT for fashion (although some say your bike looks unfinished without one). Look at any other plate and see the scars. Each dent represents a time that it saved you . After one ride, you’ll see all the disasters that were prevented.
7. Don’t be another trail horror story, #ProtectYourPassion with an aluminum skid plate from ACD Racing Parts.
Ok, you’re convinced. So then do you go with Aluminum or Plastic skid plates?
1. Try this analogy: I'm going to hit you in the chest with a shovel. You can hold up a thin sheet of something for protection. Which material would you rather have: Aluminum or plastic ? Exactly!
2. Ride though rocks? You better have an aluminum skid plate
3. Live where the mountains are? You’re going to need aluminum.
4. Come anywhere near a boulder, aluminum is what you want between you and a hard place.
5. Consider yourself a basher? Better go with aluminum.
6. Think aluminum is too loud? Place pieces of an old yoga mat or high density foam between the plate and the frame to quiet it. Most riders get accustomed to the sound quickly.
7. Plastic may be light and quiet, but it can’t hold up to the rough stuff. Aluminum skid plates’ weight and price may seem excessive, but if you nail one wrong place, it becomes an obvious necessity.
8. Check out ACD Racing Part’s skid plate collection and find the right fit for your bike today!
Motocross (MX) and Supercross (SX) injuries are inevitable at some point for all dirt bike riders. It’s the nature of the beast-riding high-speed and light motorcycles on a rocky terrain with other high speed bikes around could mean crashes. #ProtectyourPassion means protecting yourself as well! Statistics A 2004 study from Italian Orthopedic Surgery specialists reported that surprisingly, injuries are most likely to [...]
When it comes time to prepare your dirt bike for a race session, you need to do it the right way-you don't want a broken bike on a race day. Even if motocross maintenance is mostly common sense, ACD Racing Parts USA brings you a complete check list of each step you must pay attention to to get your off-road [...]